Friday 25 March 2011

Inspiration - Withdrawal

The plot I used for my film derived from various sources and I feel improved the cinematography and ensured the individuality of my film.
The rough idea of my film focused on a unknown disease infecting the human race.
Inspired by several films I took out key factors that I particularly admired including the structure, stylism and filming techniques.
The initial plot derived from several different films I'd seen recently which included:


FILMS
28 DAYS LATER- I was inspired by the element of disease corrupting society however I didn't want to incorporate the violence or gore that was a very big part of the plot.

I AM LEGEND- The isolation of the main character was brilliant in this film and the ability to follow one mans action and quest really inspired me to try and limit my cast as much as I could. However I chose not to have any form of companion as the character in this film has a Dog for the majority of the film, it also contains the same aggressive presence of the diseased which I opted out of my opening title sequence. The routine followed by Will Smith in this film inspired the idea of my short cut scenes of the press ups in my film. The character wears tight revealing clothes quite like mine does in Withdrawal

V for Vendetta- The intellectual dialogue and eloquent musical transitions between scenes were key to adding in my stylised artist approach to my film, I really liked the proper english used and intelligent terminology inspired my monologue/voice over. The film itself is very arty and the element of conspiracy used as subplot is very intriguing. Half way through the film you discover that the disease that affected the coutries population was a corrupted governments attempts to gain votes as it appeared to deal with the crisis in a heroic way. I felt it was a great idea and was an unexpected edgey twist.

Phonebooth- The set for this shot was very limited and despite it only being filmed in one phonebox it showed me various of the same shot can be just as affective as many different scenarios.

NOVELS

THE RED ROOM- A famous book it focuses on a mans stay in a haunted room which is renowned for leaving visitors terrified, mental and emotionally unstable. However the key aspect of the story is the phycological fear. In discovering the twist at the end I realised that to be scared of something you do not have to see it yourself. In the story a man spends a night in this room but discovers that the mind plays tricks on itself and that there is nothing in the room but the paranoia and reputation influences him to imagine or create this fear of a ghost that is non existant. I found it a very interesting prospect and took into account not too be too descriptive of any fears or threats to my character.

THE ACID HOUSE- A book of short stories, the actor I used had recently read a story in this which inspired the character in my film. The story was called video rental and was about a reclusive man who through isolation became hooked to a certain routine and became to act irrationally and lost interest in everything that concerned himself and became very observant of society and the way things had declined around him. He is a pessimistic and negative character that was highly intellectual but was not much of a risk taker whilst he had the opportunity.

A also watched some previous opening title sequence by a level students at coombe.
I really liked a shot I'd seen where the camera focused on the rippels created by things being thrown into water. I liked the white wall backdrop I had seen in other low budget short films and opted to use this for my isolation scenes.

Finally the inspiration for my production company name came from the wonderful pink sky encountered over the 3 days of filming which was probably my favourite shot in the film overall.

Robyn Bostock

No comments:

Post a Comment