Sunday 27 March 2011

Day two filming - "Withdrawal"


During day two I'd developed my camera skills which enabled me to experiment with a variety of different shots. I took my cast back to the house we'd shot in the day before, except this time we weren't restriced by the lack of daylight which made lighting easier and possible to collect shots I was unable to do the previous evening. I took into consideration the difference in lighting but filmed in the idea of editing so that it look like a duration of time had been spent in the house. I experimented with shots from outside the house looking in on the protagonist to highlight his isolation and give the viewer the impression he could be being watched. I filmed three shots of the character walking down the stairs all from different angles. This looked interesting and the repetition of the action also enforced the idea that he'd spent a lot of time in this house. I thought by filming these shots at different angles would be effective because it also adds a different perspective to his day to day routine. I filmed a birds eye view shot from the top of the house, looking down in the conservatory. I found this hard to do as I had to position the camera at an angle which made it difficult to view what I was filming. I ended up using my own judgement and spacial awareness skills to enable this shot to work. Some of the shots that i'd filmed day one, were lost when uploading. This was aggravting as it meant I had to film the shots again which proved even more difficult as it was still light outside, meaning the shots wouldn't of blended. As there were no curtains, I had to modify the light myself by hanging a dust sheet over the window. In this process I filmed a shot of the main character eating soup. I wanted the audience sympothise for the protagonist so I made him eat in a very uncivilsed manner. I wanted a detailed close-up of the character spilling the soup whilst eating it and aimlessly staring in one direction. I got two angles of the shot, one being a side view ECU and the other a front on ECU. I felt these close-ups of the spillages adds a great effect for portraying the character exasperation and his lack of manners showed he was unbothered about what anyone thought. After I captured all the shots I needed, the cast and myself headed to a furnished residence to film a few shots which consisted of the main character discovering his mothers corpse. In this shot I filmed from across the road which had its pro's and con's. As it was a LS it had a wide angle of the whole house in the background, and cars parked outside other houses provided a good comparison to the car parked noticably out of position with the hazard lights on in the characters driveway. However this shot was difficult to capture due to cars and residents passing by, seeing as the area was quite busy as there's a primary school round the corner. I concluded day two's filming with a ECU of the corpse's hand hanging from the open door of the car. This was extreemly as it showed a good use of thirds and looked extremly realistic giving the audience a chilling realisation of what's happened. I felt this was good contrast from the previous shot I'd captured as it was the only still shot that i'd taken throughout my filming so far. Day two was very successful and I managed to film the majority of all I needed. I completed all the filming I needed that was not part of the flashback which was very reasuring.



Robyn Emily Bostock

No comments:

Post a Comment