Monday 28 March 2011

Day three filming - "Withdrawal"

Day three was were I planned to film all of the outside shots in daylight in contrast to the night shots. I took my cast up to cannon hill common which was local to the other sets used previously which gave a very secluded feel to characters environment. I was able to capture a beautiful pink sky where I then got the protagonist to walk towards the camera from an ELC. I really liked the ideas of filming shots of my character by the river, as I'd looked at a past opening title sequence from a few years ago which included shots of a pond rippling. I thought this was really effective as despite the stillness of the shot it had a very fluid rhythmic movement that was capturable from many angles. I chose the setting of this shot as it was a very peaceful tranquil enviroment and it completely alternated the panic-ensued journey home. I asked my actor to throw some stones into the river and to give the impression that he was at ease in surroundings that seemed safe and very normal. In the shots he was also smoking a cigarette which highlighted his state of relaxation. The lack of wind was useful as the smoke rose slowly and was clearly visable in the lens. I took one close up from the side in which the character inhales and exhales smoke, unaware of the danger that is soon to come.
My final shot the protagonist discovering a random corpse on a park bench. I wanted to be a shock to the audience. I did this by having the character walk into the frame and pass without enquiring but to act concerned about the state of this individual(who had been affected by disease). He returns after momentarily continuing past and shakes the corpse to try and awaken him or resasitate him. The day was a success and the only problems we encountered was the process of continuinly cleaning the cassatte.

Robyn Bostock

No comments:

Post a Comment